top of page
French Louis Philippe Ebonised and Inlaid Cabinet Attributed to Monbro
antique French Louis Philippe black and inlaid marble side cabinet by Monbro
An exceptional French Louis Philippe ebonised double doored side cabinet attributed to Georges Marie Paul Vital Bonifacio Monbro. The cabinet has a beautiful inlaid diamond and ribbon top using the skilled technique scagiola to create lapis lazuli and other marble effects which also feature in the frieze and doors. The frames of the doors have a double string inlay of brass and pewter and the inset panels have a pierced pewter decorative inlay design with bronze gilt beaded moulding and fabulous bronze and bronze gilt oval plaques within a bronze gilt ribbon frame. The doors open to reveal a polished satine interior with two shelves each with double brass string inlay which lock using the original cloverleaf shaped key.

The cabinet is flanked with fine bronze gilt male and female medallions to the rounded corners and is adorned with fabulous mounts to the canted corners. The sides have double string brass and pewter inlay with female mask and corner ornamentation and a scroll leaf female mask with floral garland to the centre of the shaped plinth which stands on turned feet.

Maltese born Georges Marie Paul Vital Bonifacio Monbro was born in 1774 and set up his business in Paris in 1801 at the premises 215 Rue de Beauregard. He was a very skilled cabinetmaker who became recognised for the quality of his work specialising in ’Nécessaire de Voyage’ boxes, and manufacturing for some of France’s most elite clientele. His work takes Maltese influences whilst maintaining the classic French style. He moved his premises around Paris six times before his death in 1841. His son Georges Alphonse Bonifacio Monbro (Monbro Aine) took over the business in 1838 shortly before his fathers death and carried on the well established name producing fine furniture and exhibiting in Paris and expanding by opening two shops in London.

Height - 43 ½ inches
Width - 50 inches
Depth - 16 ½ inches


Circa - 1830 - 1835

Price £32,000
bottom of page